Thursday, August 25, 2011

What they took to the US

When Iver E. Vangsness and Unni went to the US from Norway, they brought some furniture and other items with them. Some of them are still cherished by family members.

Here is what John G. Vangsness says in his letter about these items:

I have enclosed some pictures of things. some you'll recognize, some you may not. Stanley gave me the tina box (for which I am very appreciative!) My mother has the pictured cup. These two items came over on the boat with Iver & Unni in 1854. 

Trunk
The trunk also came over with them. The writing reads Unni Andersdatter, Frames 1847. Frammes is the farm she came from.






Cup

I'm sure you recognize the clock. My Grandmother (Sally) promised this to Stanley and he was kind enough to let her give it to me. As a matter of fact she gave it to me at Christmas 1980. That was the last time I ever saw her. Your Grandfather John bought it in Red Wing, Minnesota in 1895. He also bought a buggy that day. If memory serves correctly, I think I heard that he spent a total of $7.50 for both items. the clock sat on this shelf on the West wall of Grandpa's hour from 1895 until 1973. It now is on my wall and working fine.

This clock was on Grandpa's wall from 1895 - 1973







John G. Vangsness asks if anyone else has old item from the early settlers. He had heard that someone might have a ring. He was hoping for photos of any old items that someone might have. I am too. If you have any old items from our early relatives, please send me a photo!

(Information from a letter by John G. Vangsness, 1996)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments